Words of wisdom from Mobile Tracking and Consulting Services…
As part of the implementation process, it is recommended to inform drivers of the GPS unit installation. The most successful fleet management programs include good communication of established policy and facilitate driver coaching to ensure compliance. If you’re not sure where to start with that process, an updated driver policy letter may get the ball rolling. The following sample policy letter is available for you to copy, modify, and make your own.
Mobile Resources Management Acknowledgement
To further its interest to increase productivity; aid in quick deliveries; routing organization, promptness, and efficiency; and to promote safe work practices (e.g., driving within the speed limit), XYZ Company has installed mobile monitoring systems/devices in many company-owned vehicles.
The following applies:
• Employees will be notified during new employee orientation that XYZ Company will be utilizing mobile monitoring systems/devices.
• Employees will be notified there is no personal “expectation of privacy” while working/operating/driving a company-owned vehicle on public roadways for XYZ Company. What this means is that XYZ company will monitor the driver and the location and movement of most company vehicles.
• Monitoring will be initiated for many employees driving or performing work on behalf of the company in company-owned vehicles. Continued use of a company-owned vehicle by an employee and having the knowledge of mobile monitoring systems/devices constitutes consent for XYZ Company to access the data provided through and by the systems.
• Mobile monitoring systems/devices can record and display location and movements as well as vehicle idle times, maintenance, sustainables (Fuel range); fuel usage, etc. (not an all inclusive listing) to establish history that XYZ Company can access at any time.
• XYZ Company reserves the right to utilize mobile monitoring systems/devices only during work hours and/or whenever equipment is being used.
• Employees working on behalf of the company agree and understand that mobile monitoring is a condition of employment, performance will be monitored, and employees held accountable.
• Employees may not damage, disable, or shut down mobile monitoring systems/devices in an effort to sabotage the unit and/or data recorded.
Data will be collected, stored and maintained at each branch location and in some instances, at the corporate office. XYZ Company will comply with all federal and state laws as well as collective bargaining agreement verbiage related to GPS monitoring in the workplace.
The Driving Company Vehicle Policies may address additional policy requirements concerning this topic. Appropriate disciplinary action, up to termination of employment, will be taken by XYZ Company against employees found to have engaged in a prohibited use of company-supplied electronic tools and information.
XYZ Company reserves the rights to terminate, modify, or suspend this policy, in whole, or in part, at any time without prior notice.
As an employee of XYZ Company, I understand that I am expected to adhere to this and all other personnel policies as a condition of employment. Further, I have read, agree, and understand the terms of conditions outlined within the Mobile Resource Management Policy.
Employee Name: ____________________________________________________
Employee Signature: _________________________________________________