TIRE SAFETY… Here’s what we learned from the NHTSA….
Protection against avoidable breakdowns and crashes. Improved vehicle handling. Better fuel economy. Increased tire life. Just a few of the reasons to take five minutes every month to check your tires. Simply use the handy checklist below to get started
* Check tire pressure regularly (at least once a month), including the spare.
* Inspect tires for uneven wear patterns on the tread, cracks, foreign objects, or other signs of wear or trauma. Remove bits of glass and other foreign objects wedged in the tread.
* Make sure your tire valves have valve caps.
* Check tire pressure before going on a long trip.
* Do not overload your vehicle. Check the tire information placard or owner’s manual for the maximum recommended load for the vehicle.
* If you are towing a trailer, remember that some of the weight of the loaded trailer is transferred to the towing vehicle.